Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Freeway of Love



So, in my continuing saga of seeing if I have Aspergers, I wanted to share my fascination with the Interstate Highway System.

Don't ask me why, but I've had an odd fascination with freeways and especially the Interstates. The red, white and blue sign has been like a strange beacon, calling me to a world of networks of roads. The freeway systems of other countries also are an interest of mine.

I know that even-numbered freeways go east and west, odd numbered go north and south. The low numbered interstates are in the South and West respectively, getting larger as the move North and East, respectively.

I have spent time finding out about proposed interstates that are yet to be build and interstates that were cancelled.

My obbession is such, that I have created a parallel world in my mind with made-up interstates going through imaginary cities. When I was younger, I would take a play car or a pen and pretend I was driving on these imaginary roads. I seldom realized that others were watching me; I was in my own world. It would make quite a scene in school.

I still act out driving on imaginary roads sometimes, but now it's moreso in my mind than acting it out.

The thing is, I have had a big fascination with anything involving transportation. Airports fascinate me, as do buses.

I guess I have another thing to tell the good doctor on Saturday.

No comments: