Friday, July 11, 2008

Wide Awake

Tonight, Daniel and I were invited over for dinner at my friends' Erik and Scott's for dinner. It was also the first time I got to meet an "imaginary friend," Ray. I've known him for a few years via LiveJournal, but this was the first time meeting him in person. As we chatted, Ray talked about his experience at Church of the Apostles in Seattle and then Erik and Scott started talking about their church, Lutheran Church of Christ the Redeemer. They truly love their church and having preached there a few times, I do enjoy it as well.

The night before, I took part in Come Thirsty, a group of mostly 20 and 30 somethings in the UCC and (hopefully in time) Disciples. We didn't do "churchy" stuff except prayer. What we did do is play kickball and had a damn fun time doing it. Afterwards, we went over to the famous Bryant Lake Bowl for bowling and drinks.

I have say that event left me feeling good. From the outside it might not look like ministry, but that was what was going on and it made me feel excited.

As I thought about tonight and last night, I've realized how spiritually listless I feel at times. When I look at my fellow Disciples here in the Cities, I don't see people fired up for mission, but people just existing, surviving. And it brings me down.


Don't get me wrong, I love these people. I care for them and want to be part of this crazy community called Disciples. But at times, I get tired of how defeatist and scared we are when it comes to living out our faith. I wish that our churches were more bold, more willing to take risks. I wish those that have left Disciple churches stop complaining and start doing something.

As I prepare for this Sunday's sermon, the word that keeps sticking in my mind is "listen." That's the word found in the parable of the Sower and I think God is trying to tell me something.

No comments: