Wednesday, May 10, 2006

An Unusual Shepherd


My colleage at Community of Grace, Bryan Allen, had an interesting take on the Good Shepherd. When we usually hear of sermons on the Good Shepherd we have an image of God taking care of us. Bryan had a different take. He showed a clip from the recent movie version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe where Lucy and Susan are attacked by two of the Witch's wolves. Aslan and Peter run to the rescue. Peter draws his sword as the two wolves circle him ready to pounce. Aslan pins one of the wolves and says the fight is now equal. With the odds now more fair, Peter is able to slay the wolf and save his sisters.

Byran commented that God is not the Shepherd that is just there to be our Santa Claus, but is with us, supporting us, and empowering us.

This reminds me of the time my mother taught me to ride without my training wheels. At some point, she sat on the porch and watched me as a fell again and again. She didn't budge, but just told me to try again. After a while, I got it and was riding without those wheels.

It does make you wonder. Maybe God isn't simply taking care of us, but equipping us for the journey, reminding us that when life is harsh, God is there to even the score and defeat evil.

A different kind of shepherd, indeed.

No comments: