Monday, February 21, 2011

Thoughts on "Being Human"

It's been a long time since I've really followed a scripted television series. Most folks I know have raved about shows like Glee, Lost and Battlestar Galactica, but none of those have really held my attention. Over the last few years, I've basically stuck to HGTV and reality shows like Top Chef.

But I now love to get in front of the TV on Mondays to watch "Being Human" on SyFy. This is actually the American version of a British series that's been on since 2009. The premise in both series is that a vampire, werewolf and ghost live together and try to be...well, human.

I really have enjoyed the episodes as each tries to deal with what they are and also try to hold to some humanity.  They all face temptations to give into their darker sides which is what gives the series its edge.

I've always had a fascination with werewolves (and wolves in general) so the character I've had the most interest in is Josh (George in the British version) the geeky "Jewish kid from Ithaca" who leaves everything behind once he becomes a werewolf.  He's basically the heart of the threesome and an emotional mix of every emotion.  He's fun to watch as he tries so hard to fit in.

In some way, the series is an allegory to me of trying to fit in and make the best of what life hands you.  In being both gay and being autistic, I've had to find ways to learn to accept myself and find ways to fit in, so I connect with the three as they try to just live.

It's a great show in both versions.

No comments: