Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Searching for Home

I've been a busy for a pastor who doesn't have a call. For the past few weeks, I've been doing supply preaching at several Disciple churches as well as one Lutheran congregation. (And I had to turn down an opportunity to preach at Presbyterian congregation because I was already booked.) I like this chance to do preach and meet people from the various churches, many I've known for a few years.

But even though I like the chance to preach, I really miss not having a call. In a way, I feel sort of landless, not really able to put down roots some place and leave my mark. Even at Lake Harriet, where I do a lot of preaching, I have to be careful and respect the Associate Pastor's role and the wishes of the congregation.

At the same time I feel rootless, I am also thinking something big is coming down the pike. I can't say what it is since I don't know, but I think something is coming. All the while I'm still putting feelers out for the new church and I next month I will meet with the Minnesota Conference of the UCC to hopefully get standing in the UCC as well as the Disciples.

I'm starting to wonder if God is telling me to hold on. Maybe this feeling that something will happen soon is God's way of telling me to just be patient. I guess until then, I will just keep doing what I am doing.

No comments: