Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Want Your Blood

I just finished putting together a proposal for a planned new church. I've sent it out to a few people for their opinions. So far I haven't heard anything. I assume people are busy, so I will give people time.

In talking with a few people, I've noticed that some are interested and some are upset that more isn't being done. One person that I don't know that well ranted and raved about how Disciple churches weren't doing anything mission wise, but when I asked him if he could help out, he just went back to ranting and raving.

I don't know if this is exclusive to Disciples, but we are damn good a bitching about things. We whine about everything that is wrong with the church, but most don't do a damn thing to change things.

That's what scares me with this new church thing. Yeah, there are a lot of people that say they think new churches are a good idea, but when it comes to putting some skin in the game, they hem and haw or just don't say anything. That was what I faced last time.

That fear is enough for me not to want to jump into this again-I just don't want to get hurt like I did last time.

Sometimes what I want to say to these people is that I don't want their money or rants, I want their blood.

Before people start thinking that I am a vampire, let me explain.

Remember that story where there are several people saying they want to follow Jesus, but they have to do something before they can follow? Remember how Jesus gives them the brush off? I think that story is saying that to follow Christ is costly; it is as Dietrich Bonehoeffer said: Christ bids us to come and die. I've met people that are like those people who had other things to before following Jesus. What I would like are people that are willing to give of themselves and work for the kingdom.

I guess, I would love to find people who feel led by God to support this crazy idea. Not simply say it's a good idea, but do something to help further God's kingdom. Having been burned once, I am skeptical that I will find that one person who is willing to give of themselves. But I guess I have to have some faith about that, huh?

No comments: